The Living Oceans Foundation is dedicated to the conservation, preservation, and restoration of the living oceans. Our education department furthers that mission by creating awareness about the threats to coral reefs as well as the pertinent research our scientists are conducting throughout the world’s oceans.
Our marine science education program extends the Foundation’s impact to a variety of audiences including the general public, informal and formal K-12 science education, and universities via graduate fellowships. An increased engagement in ocean literacy will further advance the conservation and restoration of living oceans – the core of our mission.
Marine Science Education Programs
The education department established a variety of marine science education programs to aid in fulfilling the mission of the Foundation. These programs include:
- Our comprehensive Education Portal hosts our Coral Reef Ecology Curriculum and contains a multimedia package of teaching and learning tools to engage and excite students while learning about coral reefs. Developed in accordance with the latest international education standards for K-12 students, this award-winning course makes it easy for teachers to incorporate marine science into their classrooms.
- The Science without Borders® Challenge is a yearly art competition that engages students to promote public awareness of the need to preserve, protect, and restore the world’s oceans and aquatic resources.
- In secondary schools in the Caribbean, the Foundation has implemented Mangrove Education and Restoration programs. In these programs, students and teachers learn about the mangrove ecosystem while conducting science experiments and helping to restore their local mangrove forest.
- We sponsor a Graduate Fellowship Program program for doctoral students and post-doctoral scholars whose research focuses on activities that contribute to a better understanding of ocean health and resilience.
- Education Workshops and Presentations are provided locally, abroad, and online for a variety of audiences that relate to coral reefs and the Foundation’s research.
- Coral Reef Educators on the Water (CREW) Program offered teachers the opportunity to join the Global Reef Expedition aboard the Golden Shadow.
Register to receive our newsletters from our Education Team: